The Carroll County Grand Jury is convening for its first session of 2019 this week, and among the dozens of cases to be considered by the jury, three have been major local news-makers.

The cases of David Anderson, 59, of Yuma; Orlando Olive, 18, of McKenzie; and Joseph Fallon, 34, of Jackson are set to appear this week before the Grand Jury in Carroll County General Sessions Court.


Anderson, who is charged with second-degree murder, was bound over back in October of last year in the July 6 fatal shooting of 64-year-old Benjamin Cole Birdwell.

Birdwell’s body was found the day of the shooting by deputies with the Carroll County Sheriff’s Department on a railroad easement close to both Birdwell and Anderson’s homes near the intersection of Schoolhouse Road and Rex Lane.

Birdwell had been shot once in the head.

The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation (TBI) was immediately called in to aid with the investigation.

The firearm believed to be used in the shooting and a second firearm belonging to Birdwell were both found by investigators.

Anderson was charged for the killing that night after being detained and questioned at the Carroll County Jail.

Investigators believe the shooting is related to a longstanding property rights dispute between Anderson and Birdwell, whose homes are only about 50 feet apart.

Birdwell was a retired officer from the Houston, Texas Drug Enforcement Agency.


Olive faces possible indictment for attempted second-degree murder, five counts of reckless endangerment, and violation of probation in the October 14, 2018 shooting of McKenzie resident Ameshel Teague, 33.

During the December 13 preliminary hearing, Teague testified that she was standing in her driveway with two of her children and a couple of friends at around 11:30 p.m. when Olive walked into her yard carrying a handgun and fired three shots.

One of those shots struck Teague in the right hip.

Teague testified that she did not know why Olive, who is her cousin, might have wanted to shoot her or anyone else there at the scene.

Olive was later arrested on December 4 by U.S. Marshals when he was observed leaving a McKenzie residence.


Fallon was bound over to the Grand Jury on December 5 on charges of aggravated kidnapping and contributing to the delinquency of minors in the October 31 abduction of a 15-year-old Huntingdon girl.

According to testimony by the victim, she and Fallon met through an online dating app, after which Fallon came and picked her up on October 26 without her mother’s knowledge or consent and drove her to his apartment in Jackson, where she spent the night before being picked up and taken back home by her mother the next day.

The teen testified that Fallon came to Bruceton and met up with her again on Halloween, bought her and a teenage friend some beer, and then drove her back to his apartment.

The teen said she spent the night at his apartment again, but, during this second stay, she said Fallon forced her to have sexual intercourse.

According to the teen, that next morning she asked Fallon to take her home, but he drove her to Florida instead.

Authorities found the two and arrested Fallon on November 1 at a convenience store in Gainesville, Florida.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.