Three people died in a mobile home fire during the predawn hours of Jan. 29 on New Zion Road in the rural area of Carroll County on Route 4, McKenzie.
The three were identified as Caitlin Desirae Cook, 21, and Dakota Cook, 20, who were brother and sister, and Dakota’s girlfriend, Ashley Barlow, 18. Firemen rushed to the 5:15 a.m. blaze that destroyed the mobile home.
One young man, Dylan Johnson, age unavailable, escaped the burning structure with minor injuries. He suffered some smoke inhalation, but was released after treatment at Baptist Memorial Hospital in Huntingdon.
Robert John Paul Salkinburg, age unavailable, who had been at the residence, had already left for work in Jackson.
Dakota and Ashley’s four-year-old daughter was with a relative.
Although the cause is not officially known, it may have caught from a wood burning stove that was being used to heat the home, an official said.
A neighbor, who lives across the road, said the survivor of the fire came to her residence about 5 a.m., banging on her door, and in a state of shock.
“When I opened the door I saw it all on fire,” she said. “There’s no way anyone could have gone in and saved anyone.”
Carroll County Fire Chief Terry Bradshaw said the home was engulfed in flames when firemen arrived and were unable to go inside. The bodies of Ashley and Dakota were found in one end of the residence and Caitlin’s body was in the opposite end of the home.
The fire is still under investigation by the state Bomb and Arson Agency and Bradshaw.
There were no fire alarms believed to be in the residence.
When it is finished the agency will write the final report, said Bradshaw.
“There is no reason to believe there was foul play, only an accident,” said Bradshaw. “It was a horrible sight.”
The bodies are being sent for autopsies.